Sunday, January 8, 2012

To Sell, Or To Trade--That Is The Question

 This is Donna Dora.  She is my eight year old (April, 2003) registered Oldenburg GOV broodmare. 
I was planning to breed her to Voice this season, but then I started thinking about how long it would take to get any offspring she might produce under saddle and to the Grand Prix. Never mind all the potential risk of illness, injury, etc. along the way in breeding and raising a foal.
At first, I though I would sell her outright, but I wasn't sure what her pricepoint should be.
Then, I developed the much more appealing idea of offering her in trade for a young warmblood prospect who is already under saddle that I can start showing this year on the Wellington Winter Equestrian Festival circuit.
So I put her on Dreamhorse.com, and I have been very pleased by the number of breeders who have shown interest.
I have an appointment to try out a fabulous five year old gelding in Ocala tomorrow. He has very similar bloodlines to Dora, and the video that I saw shows that he has very good gaits--very competitive on this international caliber show circuit.  The owner's facility is set up very similar to mine, so the transition for each horse will be easy, and she is right down the road from the Breeding Station that I would choose to breed Dora at anyway. I am very excited!  I will post the results as soon as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment