Monday, May 31, 2010

The Hazards of Goals with an Old Horse

Bogart is lame. Well, not three-legged lame, but uncomfortable in work at the trot. It is not anything that is injury-related; just old-horse related. Typically, when we start a work session, he is a little uneven, but works out of it within a few trot circles. Not so the other day. He started out a bit more stiff than usual, and even though he was working very well, he got a bit more uncomfortable after a few trot circles, so I got off and fussed over him for a while to make him feel special and then turned him back out.

Since he is 25 years old, I guess I should not be as disappointed as I am, but nevertheless, I am. He has been so sound for his age that I can't help it.

Fortunately, I have not sent off my entries for the June 19-20 Silver Sands Dressage Show yet, and I still have time to make a decision if he gets to feeling better. He is due for his monthly Adequan shot (it is an injectable joint supplement), so I may give him a loading-series over the course of four days and see what happens. The closing date is not until June 7, so we do have time.

2 comments:

  1. Been there done that, you remember my old guy. He was competitive at 4th until he got sick at 22. Its so hard when they age. But he has a loving forever home, and at the end of the day, their souls are really what makes this passion special! Give the grand old man a carrot for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz! I do remember him; we are so lucky to have these great horses come into our lives. I am hoping, however, that this is temporary/maintainable for a little longer! LOL Looking forward to your show on the 12th! Hope I can be there with the old man....do we have a judge yet?

    ReplyDelete