Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Year, New Goals

Actually, first I am committed to finishing the goals I set at the beginning of the show season, which started in Sept. '09.

I competed in a USDF/USEF recognized dressage show in Wellington and started acquiring the scores needed to get the USDF Rider Awards in:

Rider Performance Certificates:

Training Level (got two scores above 60%--need two more)

First Level (got two scores above 60%--need two more)

Bronze Medal:

First Level (got two scores above 60%-finished this level at the September show)

Need two scores above 60% at second level

Need two scores above 60% at third level

Concerning the bronze medal award, I have a bit of a dilemma. This is not the first time I have competed at these levels, and acquired the qualifying scores. In fact, I already have the scores for first AND second level needed for the bronze medal, so technically all I need are the third level scores. But here is the rub...

I acquired those scores 14 years ago, and haven't competed seriously since. I have been told by several people (who would know) that the records of my scores are on the USDF database and all I have to do is contact USDF and my scores will count. And I could do that.....

But the rules for reporting scores for awards were different back then. Back then, you got a reporting sheet from USDF when you decided that you wanted to achieve your Bronze Medal, then you had to have each show secretary fill out and sign the sheet as proof that you did receive those scores at that show, under that judge. Then when you received and recorded the necessary scores in all the levels, you sent the sheet in to USDF and you received your award. Or you could send in a copy of the front page of the test that you receive when you show. I used to keep all the tests, and had them in a folder, but they were destroyed in the hurricane in 2005.


Same for the rider certificate at Training Level (first level and up performance awards didn't exist back then).

Ah, the age of the internet, and how much easier (and faster) things are now. I just don't want to get my hopes up and call USDF to have them tell me that those scores DON'T count. I would just rather start all over.

Besides, I think it would mean more if I achieved it all in a timely fashion, rather than depending on scores won so long ago.

On the other hand, my current horse is getting old, and while he is obviously still competitive at training and first levels, at 25 years old, I don't want to push him too hard, and although he still can do all the figures and movements of second level, being strong enough to do it in competition is another thing. Also, I would love to have people talk me out of having to work so hard, and spend so much money in this economy....LOL


Opinions?


Next.....considering the option of buying a younger horse to compete with for awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment